A temple built by the Tenkai Daimonsho in 1625. Initially, it had a vast site centred around the current Ueno Park area, but during the Boshin War, the Shogitai Corps of the former Shogunate Army stood in the precincts and became the stage of the so-called “Ueno War”. Most of it burned down. Furthermore, the land was confiscated during the Meiji era. It is also one of the Tokugawa family’s family temples, and six generals are buried in the mausoleum of successive Tokugawa shoguns in the precincts.
360 years in business About Matsuzakaya Honten, a Hakone Ashinoyu Onsen Founded in 1662 and depicted in Hiroshige Utagawa's ukiyoe woodblock prints, Matsuzakaya Honten has been a long-established onsen inn since the Edo period. The inn has been visited by many...