The Ryōgoku Bridge in Tokyo was built in 1659 spanning the Sumida River just upstream of its confluence with the Kanda River. Its name, meaning “two provinces”, came from its joining Edo (the forerunner of Tokyo in Musashi Province) and Shimōsa Province. Fans of Japanese woodblock prints, or ukiyo-e, will also recognize the structure from artworks by masters such as Hokusai and Utagawa Hiroshige. Rebuilt in 1932 and later in 2008, the bridge is a short walk to and from nearby Ryogoku Kokugikan Sumo Hall. For an alternative view of the bridge’s steel and girder construction, consider a cruise or boat ride down the river.
360 years in business About Matsuzakaya Honten, a Hakone Ashinoyu Onsen Founded in 1662 and depicted in Hiroshige Utagawa's ukiyoe woodblock prints, Matsuzakaya Honten has been a long-established onsen inn since the Edo period. The inn has been visited by many...