Toki no Kane was first built by Tadakatsu Sakai, the lord of Kawagoe Castle, in Taga Town (now Saiwaicho) between 1627 to 1634. The current bell tower was rebuilt the year after the Kawagoe Great Fire that occurred in 1893. It has a three-layer structure and is about 16 meters high. It is a symbol of Kawagoe that has been telling the time for the local people since the early Edo period when it was founded. Currently, the sound of bells echoes in the streets of Kurazukuri four times a day, at 6:00, 12:00, 15:00, 18:00. In 1996, Toki no Kane was selected as one of the “100 Soundscapes of Japan” sponsored by the Environment Agency.
360 years in business About Matsuzakaya Honten, a Hakone Ashinoyu Onsen Founded in 1662 and depicted in Hiroshige Utagawa's ukiyoe woodblock prints, Matsuzakaya Honten has been a long-established onsen inn since the Edo period. The inn has been visited by many...